Friday, June 12, 2015

DIY Compost Bin

Man, my posts are getting so exciting, right? I decided last week that I was going to create my own compost bin. We go through a lot of table scraps especially banana peels and coffee grounds and I wanted to do something with them. I searched the internet and pinterest and found a few ideas. I also like having little projects to work on. Here are the steps I took to make one. It was super simple and cost me nothing since I had a random bin sitting in the basement. Maybe you will become inspired yourself or maybe you can just call me a tree hugger. Either way, I'm just trying to save the Earth one compost bin at a time!

 Start by using a drill and making lots of holes in the tub, on the bottom and lid as well. This part was fun! Then do a layer of brown paper, newspaper, grass clippings, leaves, and things like that.

 Next pile dirt on top of that and then add your scraps. I also read you can compost dryer lint and hair. Interesting right?

Next stir it around and add some water. I started this on Saturday and so far, so good. Not exactly sure what I will do with it. Hopefully use it as mulch for our garden next year, we shall see!

No comments:

Post a Comment