Wednesday, June 10, 2015

Our Visit to Henry

Last Thursday, I didn't have any extra kids to watch so the boys and I packed up a lunch and headed to Henry to visit the Grade School on their last day with students. The last time I was there I was 9 months pregnant with Blaine. Everyone was excited to see us and the boys were so good. We ate lunch and played at the park across from the school and then walked over to the school. We spent a couple hours there visiting. It really worked out because the students were in the gym watching a movie and the teachers were in their rooms working on end of the year stuff and packing up their rooms. The boys got to play in different rooms while I had a chance to talk to everyone. I also got to see my students from last year when they were heading out to recess. They were so excited to see me and I got several hugs! Although I love staying home with my boys, I also definitely miss teaching and just being in that environment.

I started keeping a list on my phone of things I miss and things I do not miss about teaching. Our visit to Henry inspired me to share:
Things I don't miss:
  • Doing report cards
  • Tying shoes all day long
  • Parent/Teacher Conferences
  • Meetings
  • Lesson Plans
  • Copying
  • The drive
  • Packing up my room at the end of the year
  • Dealing with defiant students
Things I do miss:
  • Co-workers
  • Tricia's baking
  • Berta's cookies
  • Laminating
  • Decorating my room and doing bulletin boards
  • The complements from the kids everyday
  • Using the smartboard
  • Getting lots of hugs
  • Watching them turn into little readers
  •  Happy Hour after work on Fridays
I heard this quote on TV one time, and I wrote it down to remember it. I thought it fit my life so well when I made the decision to step away from teaching. "I'm giving up the best job I've ever had to have the only job I've ever wanted." I can always go back to teaching, but I will never have this time again with my boys.






Bryce found some cars, trucks, and tractors in Marsha's room. 

No comments:

Post a Comment